Friday, May 26, 2006

Lesson booked.

Last weekend's youth chess tournement in Moncton was pretty fun.

My son Brechan (the ch makes a k sound) had a really great time and managed to place sixth in the country for his grade. We all stayed on campus at the University of Moncton, which is where the event was held. The dorm rooms were sparten to say the least, but the cots were comfortable and the bed linen was clean so no complaints. There was a rec room with a ping pong and a couple of pools tables along with a TV. The kids we able to entertain themselves playing chess, ping pong and pool while the rest of us where able to watch the hockey game... go Oilers go....

I was flicking through the channels on the TV earlier this week when I stumbled onto some type of reality show about Tom Cruise. I was about to turn to the channel to something more interesting, when they cut to scene of him and some rapper dude climbing into his beautifully restored P-51 Mustang to go for a flight. I didn't even know that he was a "real" pilot. They had a chase plane and cameras everywhere... he looked at least to me as though he was doing a great job of flying that old warbird. I can't imagine what 1,700 HP piston driven aircraft feels like, I do know that it sounded awesome.

Since the rapper dude was a nervous flier, Tom talked him through a few simple meneuvers, some shallow turns etc., and then later on they even did a roll. They finished the flight off with what looked like a perfect landing.

I wonder if a P-51 Mustang is easier to land then a Cessna 172....

Now back to my reality... I had hoped to get a couple of back to back flight lessons in this week but the weather has been unsettled and a little windy. Sunday looks very promising so I just called Dave and booked a lesson for the morning, if the weather cooperates I'll hopefully get back up early next week again too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter javascript