Thursday, August 17, 2006

Studying for the PPL

The last couple of nights I have been reviewing navigation, basically I re-read the section in "From the Ground Up", highlighting key points for my final "last minute review". I also purchased "The Canadian Pilot Pilot Answer Guide" which contains literally hundreds of questions on the various sections of the PPL test.

I've been doing the navigation review questions from the CPPAG to identify any areas of weakness. The last couple of nights I've basically taken over the kitchen table with all of my flying stuff; maps, FTGU and the exam book, pencils, pens, calculator, highlighters and an eraser, not to mention the stuff a pilot uses for plotting, such at the E6B and a Nav Plotter.

Now, I have to mention that I already have the fundementals of navigation down pat, I'm good with maps and I have a strong sense of both directional and situational awareness. My first flight instructor Paula also did a wonderful job of explaining this stuff to us during ground school. But what I also have is a unique ability which permits me to make the most obvious and stupid mistakes imaginable. This has left me both frustrated and at times sitting there muttering to myself in disbelief.

Classic example: How long does it take to climb to 2,700 (asl) @ 300 ft per minute after taking off from such and such airport? The answer's obvious, until I got it wrong and picked 9 minutes... it's wrong because I forgot to subtract the airports elevation first. Dooohhh!

The next example takes the cake, and left me wondering if I've past my stupidity to my kids...

I measured the track between two airports that I want to fly, this seems pretty simple right? Except that I used the solid star (which denotes the avialibility of lighting) at one airport and the hollow star ( the proper reference point) at the second airport. I quickly discovered that nothing seemed to be adding up properly, mileage, course, fuel burn, true ground speed etc. were all off. Then I started thinking that the CPPAG was suspect, I decided to go back to the map and double check everything once more and this was when I spotted my obvious goof.

I know this stuff, why am I making these stupid mistakes...

On the flip side I've now mastered the nasty VOR again, and I am able to determine if I'm coming or going.... or somewhere in the middle.

2 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Oshawapilot said...

Beware, the actual test is riddled with what "Appears" to be the correct answer, but is actually matches common mistakes. I perfect example would be your 9 minute to climb question - you would probably find 9 minutes as a legitimate answer on the written. :)

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger PPL said...

I would also recommend the following two online sample PPL exam sites:

http://pilotexams.protraining.com/Pilot-Test-Prep-Exams - this one is free

and these guys http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Canada/
It's about $30...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter javascript